The Cost of Training a Horse

A friend recently asked me about "Training Fancy".  I gave him an earful on why she needs it.  He was sweet enough to listen.

In my opinion, if a horse isn't trained, it is most likely to go to an auction or a kill buyer.  There are too many people who think they can train a horse easily to ride it.  Fancy's last owner bought her to train her so her daughters could show Fancy.  First of all, you don't buy a baby horse and think it's ready for your young daughters to show, unless you are fortunate to be a trainer yourself.  Plus, Fancy was only 1 year old which is far too young to be riding and training for shows.  This is when someone needs to buy a trained horse that is ready to go but they are too expensive.  If it's too expensive, one shouldn't be buying a horse.  Period!

I am not a trainer but I have been the buyer that bought a "green horse".  A "green horse" is a young horse that has zero to some training miles on them, which is nothing in a horse's lifetime!  People will say "green, broke" on their advertisements.   The general public needs to stay away unless you have the means to invest in your horse.  This is a vicious cycle because people over breed horses so they are only "green broke" when they sell and wind up at an auction or kill pen.

Fancy was given up because she wasn't "learning properly".  I blame the owner and the trainer for this statement!  There are false trainers out there that will take advantage of unknowledgeable people. I believe this was the case from what I have learned about Fancy.  Two wrongs did not make a right.

Now that Fancy is here, she will get the best training.  I will be investing in "ground training" which is everything that needs to be taught before getting on the horse.  It is fun! We have obstacle training, clicker training, lunging and natural horsemanship training that happens on the ground.  This will take a lot of time and investment. Clinics cost quite a bit of money to attend but they are worth it!!!

We also have the best gaited horse trainers here too!  I am so thrilled to be able to bring Fancy to them when she is ready.  She will be boarded and trained there for a couple of months at least, which costs a lot too.  Her training is the most important investment because it will keep her chances of a long life higher.  I have to make that happen!  It is my goal!



Comments

  1. I am almost postive that Fancy is a horse I was very interested in as well but couldn't take ... I think that the reason for getting rid of her by former owners was a cover story ... she looks like she is highly trainable but perhaps too spirited for young riders? Anyway, I look forward to following her progress and I'm so glad she ended up with such a responsible person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever her story is there's no excuse for not feeding her enough!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree...there is no excuse for not feeding! Thanks for following her recovery!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts