A TWH Horse with No Name

The last 48 hours have been a whirlwind.  With the help of many generous donors, I have been able to rescue a beautiful TWH mare.  I am learning the process of horse rescue day by day.  What I have learned is the following:

1.  The Livestock Pens hold last chance horses before they head to slaughter.  The owner of this place apparently keeps the best of the herds he picks up at auctions and tries to make more money before they ship them out.  The other horses aren't even shared for potential rescue.  They are purchased specifically for slaughter. Heart wrenching. Thankfully Moore's Equines for Rescue tries to find homes for them.  


2.  It takes a special person to transport these horses since they may be infected with diseases that are transferable.  A commercial shipper won't pick them up.  If you do it yourself, you need a way to disinfect your trailer before you use it for healthy horses again.  


3.  These babies need to be quarantined for 30 days. There are people who do this for a living and they are legit and kind hearted people.  I am fortunate to have someone local do it but it is expensive. I was going to do it at my farm but a friend encouraged me not to due to the risks of my farm being quarantined for 7 months.  No one in no one out.  Read this article Strangles


4.  After quarantine, the horse needs vaccinations and any necessary vet care.  Hopefully, it's minor but it's a gamble.  Then the weight gain process begins. Feed and nourish cautiously and carefully.  I still need to learn how to do this.  


5.  Once the horse is healthy after another 60 days minimum, in addition to the 30 day quarantine, the horse will need training. No horse can be sold "GREEN".  This is why they wind up in these places to begin with...people don't invest in them. Could you imagine sending a child into the world without an education. Make it work! Right! Horses need to be taught just like children.  

Currently, we are at step number two.  I am waiting anxiously for transport to quarantine.  I will post updates here.


In the meantime, this beautiful mare needs a name.Post your suggestions in the comments below....


Thank you to my generous donors and the knowledgeable horse women that are teaching me what to do.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts